Deadline: 2014 McKnight Scholar Awards
September 6, 2013 - Applications for the McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience Scholar Award due January 6, 2014.
The McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience supports innovative research designed to bring science closer to the day when diseases of the brain can be accurately diagnosed, prevented, and treated. To this end, the McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience invites applications for the 2014 McKnight Scholar Awards.
These awards were established to encourage emerging neuroscientists to focus on disorders of learning and memory. Applicants for the McKnight Scholar Awards must demonstrate interest in solving important problems in relevant areas of neuroscience, including the translation of basic research to clinical neuroscience. Awards are given to exceptional young scientists who hold the M.D. and/or Ph.D. degree and who are in the early stages of establishing an independent laboratory and research career. Traditionally, successful candidates have held faculty positions for at least one year. For the names of previous recipients and their projects, click here.
Up to six McKnight Scholars each will receive three years of support, beginning July 1, 2014.
Eligibility. Applicants must have the following:
- an M.D. and/or Ph.D. degree and have completed formal postdoctoral training;
- tenure-track status at a U.S.-based sponsoring institution, to which awards will be paid;
- a record of meritorious research in areas pertinent to the interests of the Endowment Fund;
- no more than four years of experience in an independent/tenure-track faculty position (exceptions may be made to account for parental leave);
- evidence of a commitment to a career in neuroscience; and
- U.S. citizenship or lawful permanent resident status.
PLEASE NOTE: APPLICANTS MUST BE IN A TENURE-TRACK POSITION; RESEARCH FACULTY WITH ANNUALLY RENEWABLE CONTRACTS ARE NOT ELIGIBLE.
Applicants may not:
- be employees of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute or scientists within the intramural program of the National Institutes of Health;
- apply in more than two rounds of competition;
- apply for continued postdoctoral support;
- be tenured already; or
- hold another McKnight award.
Amount and Purpose of Support. Each McKnight Scholar will receive $75,000 annually in 2014, 2015, and 2016. Funds may be used in any way that will facilitate development of the Scholar’s research program, but not for indirect costs.
Selection Process. A review committee will evaluate applications and invite a select few to interview with the committee. Applicants selected will be notified by March 28, 2014. The interviews are scheduled for Friday, April 25, 2014 in New York City. The committee will then recommend candidates to the Board of Directors of the Endowment Fund for final decision. Awards will be announced on or before May 17, 2014.
Filing of Scholar Award Application. Applications must arrive no later than January 6, 2014. Please email one PDF of the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org (references will be submitted separately). If you do not receive confirmation of receipt within a week of submission, please call Eileen at 612-333-4220.
Download application and guidelines.
- MS Word Format (80 KB)
If you receive a pop-up password box, simply click "Cancel" to access and/or save the document.