Deadline: 2016 McKnight Scholar Awards
August 27, 2015 - Applications for the McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience Scholar Award due January 4, 2016.
The McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience supports innovative research designed to bring science closer to the day when diseases of the brain can be accurately diagnosed, prevented, and treated. To this end, the McKnight Endowment Fund for Neuroscience invites applications for the 2016 McKnight Scholar Awards.
Background. These awards were established to encourage emerging neuroscientists to focus on disorders of learning and memory. Applicants for the McKnight Scholar Awards must demonstrate interest in solving important problems in relevant areas of neuroscience, including the translation of basic research to clinical neuroscience. Awards are given to exceptional young scientists who hold the M.D. and/or Ph.D. degree and who are in the early stages of establishing an independent laboratory and research career. Traditionally, successful candidates have held faculty positions for at least one year. For the names of previous recipients and their projects, click here.
Eligibility. In this competition, up to six McKnight Scholars will be selected to receive three years of support, beginning July 1, 2016.
Applicants must have:
• An M.D., Ph.D., or other suitable doctorate
• A record of meritorious research
• Evidence of a commitment to a career in neuroscience
• An appointment with tenure-track status at a U.S.-based sponsoring institution, to which the award will be paid
• No more than four years of experience in an independent/tenure-track faculty position (exceptions may be made to allow for parental leave)
• Documentation that the sponsoring institution has government approval for the applicant to work in the U.S.
Applicants may not:
• Be employees of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute or of the Intramural Research Program of the National Institutes of Health
• Apply in more than two rounds of competition
• Have already been granted tenure
• Hold another award from the McKnight Endowment Fund
Amount and purpose of support. Each McKnight Scholar will receive $75,000 annually in 2016, 2017, and 2018. Funds may be used in any way that will facilitate development of the Scholar’s research program, but not for indirect costs.
Selection process. A review committee will evaluate applications and invite a select few to interview with the committee. Applicants selected will be notified by Friday, March 18, 2016. The interviews are scheduled for Friday, April 15, 2016 in New York City. The committee will then recommend candidates to the Board of Directors of the Endowment Fund for final decision. Awards will be announced on or before May 1, 2016.
Download application and guidelines.
- MS Word format (76 KB)
If you receive a pop-up password box, simply click "Cancel" to access and/or save the document.